View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 10:28 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGcoreg View Post
Smalls I believe we had an early opener several years back, because the youth hunt fell on nov 1st and 2nd. I'll have to find the dates in my log book. So we would've opened the second weekend in Nov that year, which is basically what we are doing this year. But, that could've been when it was still just east and west zone. I'll also try to find the email or quote Courville where he said they shoot all of their birds early. Last year we did not have a "decent day"after Jan 5th in our marsh. Unless you like chasing scaup.
Regardless, as a Commission, it is not their job to decide what is best for one part of the state based on the opinions of a few. IF the coastal zone were what it is in the current proposal, this would not be an issue. The fact is, the current proposal is like the direct result of the move by the commission.

The job of the commission is to take into account all of the resources and opinions and data. Commissioner Yakupzack admitted that the opinions of those present in August weighed on his decision. I am all for showing up and having your opinion heard, but the majority had already spoken, and had spoken for several years. The early opening was not preferred.

The bolded part of your quote is what I have an issue with. This suggests that Courville made the move for personal reasons, and not as a Commissioner. Again, IF the coastal zone were in the current proposed alignment, I don't think this would be as big an issue. But clearly, the current proposal is a response to this. The SELA coastal zone hunters and the rice field hunters must not have been happy with the season dates, which again speaks to the Commission going against the hunters and the LDWF recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGcoreg View Post
Well I screwed that multi quote thing up......here's the email I took a screen shot of why Courville wants early datesAttachment 96163
I still don't understand what he thinks this will accomplish. Does he think that by hunting pretty much all of November the numbers will be that much better? Yeah, the data shows the first 3 weeks are better. Most hunters seem to agree that no matter where you put that, that is going to be the case. I have not seen anyone assume that by moving the season up a week that weeks 4 through 10 will be any better. And that is all I can assume Courville is assuming. I mean, there is nothing to support that. If there was, why didn't he cite it?

I hope my posts here have not led anyone to believe that I am against moving the dates up. It is not so much the dates being moved up, but the action taken that resulted in that, when it was clear that earlier dates was not what the majority wanted.

For the record, I'm happy for the Southwest Louisiana hunters who hope to have a good season because of this. If anything, I'm more concerned about weather putting a huge damper on this season than what the season dates do. If the weather forecasts are accurate, I suspect a long, cold, nasty, wet winter here, and a warmer winter up north are not going to be favorable for us as the season goes on. Maybe some of you older guys can recall what it was like back in 97-98, because its supposed to be a lot like that year 9at least on our end of the flyway).