View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Yeah, they had taken a short break. I went to lunch at that point, so I don't know what they decided on with that last item related to funding towards the breeding grounds.

I think Yak's thoughts were in the right place. He felt like there were very hasty decisions being made by everyone involved, and that hunter's opinions may have changed if the season were allowed to run its course and a decision made in April. It seems the only change of heart would have come from rice hunters, but based on what Larry said, it wasn't the rice hunters who were calling for the change in the zones. It was the rice farmers.

I think most people are going to get what the wanted. The only question is if the early season in the coastal becomes the norm rather than the exception. That was something else that Yak pressed--that the commission needs to make a concerted effort to set the season on the Second Saturday in November. Some years it would be earlier, some it would be later, but it would be consistent. Some may not like it one year, but it would come around the next year.

That is the first time I've actually heard Larry speak. I can't imagine waterfowl in Louisiana being in better hands than they are right now. Hearing him talk about how he does not work for the rice farmers, he works for hunters....I don't think you can ask anymore than that. He may not always make decisions that are popular with everyone, but he is trying to do what is best. I like that.

Made me feel good when Larry said that while I was listening