View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 06:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
If you know someone isn't going to quit, regardless of what happens, and that person is also in the minority, would you base your regulations solely on that person? I don't believe so. You are going to find a medium between the seasoned, dedicated guys and the new hunters that you are trying to keep around.

Those seasoned, dedicated guys that y'all are moaning about aren't going to be around forever. If you just cater to them, you aren't going to have any other hunters. I know some of those older guys that, if given the chance, would have the season go to 30/3 again to try and clean out the new "duck dynasty" hunters and the high roller types that are leasing up every piece of land. What good does that do for the future of our sport? Maybe instead of complaining about those young guys, they should try and teach them the right way to do it.

I got the survey by mail, and I gladly answered every question. Saw it posted on several boards, INCLUDING THIS ONE. Hell, he made 4 posts on it.....one when it was released, one when there was a week left, one when they extended the survey answer period, and this one.

Sorry, Nick, but Larry put out plenty of reminders on this one. I think he's doing the best he can with what he's got. Its a survey, he can't pick and choose who he sends it to.

And how do you know who is dedicated and who is a one-timer? I guarantee you I'm more dedicated to waterfowling than a lot of duck hunters I know, but my survey probably showed the same number of days hunted as them because I didn't have the time last year to hunt as much as I would have liked. Doesn't mean I'm not dedicated to waterfowling. So I agree with Larry's stance on how they view the survey, because you can't base dedication solely on numbers.

One hunter is one hunter, doesn't make a difference how seasoned they are. And dedication doesn't mean they know best how to manage something either. Everyone has an opinion on management......doesn't mean they'd know what to do if given the opportunity.
I am not saying he isn't doing the best with what he's got, he said they have to explore better options to get a better response and manage costs. They have their survey information and participation results, they can review and analyze what can be done better next time. I'm sure he has very constraining budgets and resources, that's the tough part of being a government entity.

Went back and looked at the 4 posts, apparently it was still tough for some to find or access, guess you can lead the horse to water but you cant make them drink. I stated that earlier about the lack of voter participation. Possibly not conducting the survey in the dead heat of summer, especially if you're looking to get a less senior vote. All the kids you were looking for participation from are in Destin or Galveston right now celebrating their HS graduation and obviously(from their participation) couldn't care less about waterfowl at this time. Give them another few months, they'll start to pop their heads back in and prod around. You have to go where the people are going to see it AND be most inclined to participate, bottom line. Get them somewhere where you know they will have to be, apparently it wasn't where they tried this time. Maybe the poor participation was due to not knowing it was available, too lazy too participate, or just flat out not caring. Guess they'll have to do a survey on that too.