View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 11:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
I'll be surf fishing Grand Isle from the 26th to the 28th. If my primary goal is bull reds, what is a quality rod/reel combo that checks in below $200? Slightly off topic, what are the best fish to target, be it roadside, fishing bridge, or surf this time of year? I already have a thread semi-covering this in the inshore forum. I'm just really trying to nail down what to buy, by Monday. Also, will braided or mono matter? Oh yeah, and regarding leaders, is an eagle claw, 18", 30 lb wire leader ok to use?

Sorry for the barrage of simple questions. I got bit by the surf fishing bug last year, and want to do it correctly. Unfortunately, here in the middle of the state everyone focuses on bass and white perch. I don't have an issue with them, but I want to fight the big dogs!
I fish with 8' Ugly Stick Catfish rods (medium heavy) with Shimano Symetre 3000 reels with 30 lb power pro. I can hurl redfish baits pretty far. For surf fishing, you will throw a bit further with 20 lb power pro, but you don't have the muscle you need if you need to turn a fish to keep it out of structure. Not such a big deal from the beach, but important from the bridge or near the jetties. I've got four of the 8' Ugly Sticks all rigged up identically. These rods are tough and last a loooooong time. If one of them ever breaks, I'll replace it with the same thing because they work so well for such a wide variety of purposes.

I've caught plenty of bull reds with wire leaders, but I prefer fluorocarbon. If the wind is from the north and the water gets clear, you may be glad to have a less visible leader. Right now the forecast is for a N wind for several days leading up to the 26th, the water could be pretty clear.