View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Most available data show that over a three month period, fish are all over the estuary, and the conditions (food availability, salinity, temperature, exertion) over the 90 day window before fish are caught have a significant impact on body condition. Knowing where a fish was caught, just tells us where it was that day. Knowing where a fish was for the 90 days before it was caught would require outfitting a bunch of fish with acoustic telemetry and then having enough of those fish caught and returned to measure their weight. But then one needs to assume that adding the acoustic device did not impact the condition of the fish (unlikely).

Since spatially resolving where a specific fish has been over the past 90 days is a very tricky deal, one generally needs to develop methods for testing hypotheses which does not depend on the locations of each specific fish over the past 90 days. Perhaps a more approachable method to test this hypothesis would be in a laboratory where groups of fish are exposed to the different levels of current with the same amount of food. This would enable quantifying how much fighting a given current impacts body condition. These kinds of studies have been done in freshwater trout. But the lab study would only show that the hypothesis is plausible. A sonar study could estimate the biomass of fish in different current zones of the weirs at different times. If a significant fraction of the speck and redfish biomass were coming to the weirs and in locations where they were fighting the current, that would be much more compelling support for the hypothesis than angler reports regarding where specific fish were caught.
Exactly my point, it is indeed very tricky to resolve where a fish has spent its time over the previous 90 days. Without out more tagging data, your hypothesis is difficult to develop. However, I would think that a fish caught in the Haymark or Prien is much less likely to have been spending time at the wiers than say a fish caught on the east bank. Last year I tagged approximately 75 fish, and the majority of the tags that are retrieved indicate the fish have moved less than 1/2 mile from where I tagged them.