View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
All LWFC Meetings are open to the public. If you look at the August Meeting Minutes, it was people representing major landowners in SWLA that made all of the comments about moving the opener up, or having more days in November and December.

I don't fault the land representatives for wanting what is best for their people, but I do fault the committee for taking the voices of the few and changing the season. There were even several charts included from past surveys that indicated later dates were preferred in the coastal zone.

If people are not happy with the dates and want earlier dates, they should be responding to the surveys. When the hunter surveys indicate that a later season is desired, and LDWF proposes the seasons as such, the commission should honor that.

I still don't understand where these guys came up with the idea that opening the first weekend of November was good. They keep claiming harvest data supports it. What harvest data? When has the season ever opened that early? Are they using the data that shows from Week 1 to Week 10 what the harvest is? How do they know that that will automatically correlate to better harvest numbers if you move up the season by 1 week? All you are doing is moving the pressure up. Survey numbers indicate more birds later in the season. I assume they do not believe the surveys are correct, and some of Courville's questions seem to be hinting at that.

Interestingly enough, the harvest numbers in SELA by week are pretty similar to SWLA, according to Larry's numbers. So I'm not sure why these guys want to be in the East Zone. I suppose they liked the later dates, and feel as though the coastal zone is going to continue to be set earlier than the other 2 zones.
^^Well said^^