View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
More money being paid for hunting, more people "working" on attracting ducks.

More rice in Arkansas than Louisiana, especially SW La

Weather patterns changing

More saltwater intrusion = less for ducks to eat

Etc.

Some place just hold birds because of no pressure, food, flight paths, etc and they kill in those areas. If you are not in one of those areas, the season sucks.

Potlickingisahabit this is my thoughts exactly to the T. So if they have all the food they need further north and areas large enough for them to rest. What will make them continue south?

My answer would be Ice. The last 2 weeks of the season they had no choice but to come down. Larry said himself in this area it takes extended periods of cold weather to push them.

Wouldn't it seem more logical to be hunting during periods when this is more likely to happen? Why start the season the first week of November when all we're getting is lil pissant fronts. We had isolated successful days during the first split when we received big pushes of bluewings. For most people the switch wasn't really turned on till the last two weeks of the second split.

The season is closed now and we are stacked with mallards and pins. The landscape of our flyway all the way down has changed. Migration patterns have changed as a result of this.

It's time we make changes to adapt. Quit basing our season dates on old science. I'm no biologist and don't claim to know it all. I do however spend a lot of days in the fields in a lot of different areas.

Yes, We still get ducks. But not near the numbers that make good hunting wide spread. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk