View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 01:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOP View Post
The effects of the erosion on the south end of the lake do the most damage as far as oysters are concerned. Black Drum prey on oyster but drill snails and disease are probably the main culprit. correct? Dredging needs to go away, thats for sure. But they haven't oystered the lake in years and they are still not coming back. High salinity levels and high temps are ideal conditions for the snail and disease. getting the salinity control measures on the south end of the lake would be most benifical.
You may be right, but the Commission is more likely to be effective making rules that allow things to come back rather than finding millions of dollars to address the erosion and salinity issues.

I think in the near term it will be more effective to ask the commission to do things that are within their power to do (easily). Asking the LWC for expensive projects is not as promising. If Calcasieu Lake ever gets effective erosion or salinity control, I doubt it will come from LWC or LDWF.

It's also not clear if the drill snails or the black drum are the bigger issue. Black drum are a big problem for oysters statewide. Also, the E side may not have been oystered since 2010-2011, but it was hit very hard that year, and multiple factors likely contribute to the lack of comeback. The assessments looked better on the E side in 2012 and 2013 (compared with 2011), but I have not seen 2014 yet. The W side has been oystered every year.