View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 07:17 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104
Default How my day started off this morning.

Disclaimer: this is not to brag on my actions of this morning. This is me trying to comprehend what I did to possibly save this kids life this morning and me being shaken up by it.

So this morning (0515) I pull up to the Marathon gas station on highway 73 and highway 74 and right as I get out of my truck I see a private security guard woman running into the gas station yelling get away from me. I turn to see who she's talking to and I see this kid who couldn't have been older than 21-22running up with a t shirt around his neck and blood streaming down his chest. Already fearing the worst and after doing a extremely fast come to Jesus moment, I had the kid (who was on some sort of methamphetamine for the last 2 days) sit down and try to stay still. Ran inside and grabbed a pair of non latex gloves from the kitchen.... This is why I always like to say it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I threw open my passenger door and removed several rolls of gauze from my oh crap package that I keep on the bag I bring to work and shoved a hemostatic dressing in my pocket in case I needed it. I stuffed the gauze and held it in place over his neck, which the stab wound missed his jugular, carotid artery and esophagus by small fractions of an inch. He kept telling me not to let him die, and I of course said I promise I will not let you die. I had tried talking to him to keep him from getting too roused up asking him about his family mom dad sisters brothers whoever I could think of in case that would calm him down long enough for me to work. He was wigging out because he was still high over all the people standing around. What seemed like an hour went by was actually only about 5 minutes before the cops, 10 minutes for the fire truck and shortly after the ambulance pulled up and took over from there. Honestly one of the harder promises I've ever tried to keep so far and I am shaken up beyond belief right now. I called in to work to let them know that I'm not coming in and my expansion boss was prior medical field and understood everything. I began crying when I called the 2 people I trust the most to give me insight and get me through tough or traumatic experiences. All I can honestly say is I think I performed to the best of my ability to keep this kid alive and from further hurting himself and/or others. Now that the adrenaline is wearing off it's an instant crash and a sudden wave of tiredness. I hope that this can and will be a wake up call for him and I hope he makes a full recovery. Like one man said, God puts people in your life at the right place, at the right time with the right tools. Thank God I was able to help this kid. Awesome work to the Acadian Ambulance , Prairieville Fire Department and the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office for responding quickly.

On a side note, when you begin to shove gauze into the wound to try and stop the excess outpouring of blood and your thumb can go just passed the middle knuckle with the gauze in there, the kid is very lucky I didn't throw up all over him. When it all began I noticed my whole body get the shakes from excess of adrenaline pouring into it and it took me a quick half second maybe I calm my nerves enough where I can work and try to keep him calm.

So with that said, I'm going fishing to try and comprehend and process everything.