View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 07:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
Great post MG. The only thing I might suggest is that you show using a straight shank hook. I most cases, a bull will swallow the bait meaning to have to either cut the line and leave the hook in or try to remove the hook which most likely kill the fish if you intend to release.

I find the circle hooks work pretty well on bulls and you can almost always catch them in the lip making a live release more possible. Really like your tutorial giving the exact locations to try for them.
I can appreciate your concern, but we only show the actual stuff we use and have proven to work. We keep most of the bull reds we catch (yum), and we have more lip hooked with the hook we show in the video than we have gut hooked. Sure, some gut hookings happen, but most of the fish survive if handled gently.

Except for tagging, I recommend not even bringing fish one plans to release into the boat. Cut them off at the side of the boat.

Never been a fan of circle hooks for fish one hopes to keep. To many miss the lip and slide out. Hook up rates with our demonstrated hook are very high.