View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy M View Post
I'm also a photographer who uses a kayak. Several years ago when researching for a kayak I eventually decided to get a Wilderness Tarpon T-140 (14' long SOT)
Several things to mention, the Hobie's pedal system enables you to cover larger distances with less strain and if you are into photographing birds they are much less likely to scare the birds from paddle "flash". That being said, the very high price and high weight of Hobie's are off-setting for me. I mainly decided on the Tarpon because I wanted the exercise and enjoy paddling and really like the way they handle.
One thing to keep in mind is the Hobie's have no reverse so you'll still have to paddle some to maneuver around. Also there are a whole slew of people with Hobie's who have had lot's of issues with the pedal system breaking and they're not cheap to fix!
Hey thanks for the info. I saw they advertise in outdoor photographer magazine, that's what made me think that they might be good for photography. I don't mind paddling but I wouldn't mind being able to sneak up on some birds.

Hey another question for a fellow SOT kayak photographer. The last time I went out on my kayak(the first time) I noticed I had a really hard time staying dry, mainly because of paddle drip. By the end of a 2-3hr paddle I looked like I had gone swimming. The paddle I have has drip rings but they don't seem to work all that great. Any secret? I think my paddle isn't long enough, even though I purchased according to many sizing charts id seen.

What area are in ?

Typed on the go using an iPhone via Tapatalk- forgive any typos