View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,263

My wife and I both own Hobie Mirage yaks with the pedals. We have been extremely satisfied with them. We did buy aftermarket seats for more comfort as we spend a lot of time on the water. The yaks have a rudder and with the pedals it frees your hands for fishing or whatever (photography). With a wind, the rudder allows you to drift with the wind and keep the kayak in proper position with a slight adjustment of the rudder and a couple of pedal strokes. My wife loves easing up on birds, gators, and assorted critters to take pics with her phone. We have had a canoe and paddle yaks, but the convenience of free hands can't be beat. With a pulley on the bow and stern, along with two rope locks next to the seat, you can mount two small anchors above the water line allowing you to drop both and keep boat perfectly positioned in windy conditions. The yaks are very stable, but not designed for standing. If you can get a test ride, I think you will find that the peddles beat the paddles. Also you can go farther faster with the pedals than the paddle. Hope that helps.