View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
When the current stock of Tohatsu TLDI's are gone, that's it. Stock motors will all run very close on equal boats. EVERY manufacturer must follow NMMA guidelines for horsepower ratings. 2 strokes will be a thing of the past except for E-Tec and that is useless.
Now if you want the 50 that is most easily upgraded, the Mercury and the Yamaha have identical specs. The ecu programming is a tad different, everything else is the same. The ecu can be reflashed to 60hp on both outboards. They are both 61 cubic inch 4 cylinder motors. To say one is superior, nahhh, not really. Those 2 would be the most easily upgraded. The problem is the weight, they are above the 250 pound mark for both motors. Both are available only in 20" shaft.

Tohatsu just released their new 3 cylinder, 53 cubic inch, 40/50. It is available in short or long shaft, weighs 208 pounds.

So, if you can live with a long shaft and you can handle the weight, the Merc and Yamaha are a toss up, whichever offers the best price and warranty. Last time I checked, about 2 months ago, the Yamaha was so stupid expensive compared to everything else, they priced themselves out of the market. You can buy the Merc and have enough left over for extended warranty and still have cash left over compared to the price of the Yamaha.

If you have to have a short shaft, the new Tohatsu is hard to beat, comes with a 5 year warranty.

STOCK motors, between the old carbbed tohatsus and the tldi and the 4 stroke, the 4 stroke is the stronger motor. Like the old saying goes "there is no replacement for displacement". The old 2 strokes were 42 cubic inches, the new 4 stroke is 53 cubic inches. And the beautiful thing is that the 40 and 50 are identical, except for 1 minor adjustment. It can be bumped to 50hp in 3 minutes, hello Lacassine.

It will be a stretch for any 50hp motor to push a 1752 boat 40 mph. It should wind up in the 35-36 mph range and remain fishable. Sure, I can put a race prop on it and get you a once in a lifetime mph number that is totally useless and will accomplish nothing. I have rigged boats for 35 years, I have learned that anything longer than 15' starts to cost speed. A 16' will run 4 mph slower than the same boat in a 15', that's any brand boat or motor. The 17 compared to the 16 will cost another 1 mph. It has to do with the balance point (fulcrum) of the boat more than the weight.

For every 5 additional horsepower you add, you will gain 1 mph. So if the 50 pushes your boat 35, reflashing to a 60 should gain 2 mph, at a reflash cost of $700.

I can't intelligently comment on any other 50's. I can only comment on what I have tested. and not speculate.
D
im trying to get away from the weight, my 2002 Suzuki df40 right now weighs 247 lbs. so I definitely want a lighter motor.

I have a 20" transom so I need the 20" shaft version.

I would be happy if I can get 35-36mph from a new motor, my old motor (2002 Suzuki df40) only got me 28 mph on a 15x48 flatboat.

if I get a 50hp tohatsu 4 stroke can I get it flashed to a 60hp when I buy it or will I have to go to a non-dealer mechanic to do it? and what will that actually do? make it run richer and burn more gas but give me more power?

im almost certain I have a blown head gasket on my old motor and maybe warped head but just to replace a head gasket you almost have to tear the whole motor down (twin overhead cams) so I figure I hate to dump $2,000 plus (assuming the head isn't warped) into a 12 year old motor no matter how good I took care of it.

if you don't mind can you PM me a basic ball park price for an electric start remote 50hp PTT with ss prop and controls installed compared to a 40hp? so I know if im getting a good price when I shop around locally.

also could my 13 spline Suzuki ss prop be reused for a tohatsu?

Last edited by keakar; 05-17-2014 at 09:03 PM.