View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

The tldi is history. This 4 stroke replaces the tldi. It's quieter, burns less fuel, burns no oil, is quieter, greener, is 53 ci compared to 42 ci.

Keakar, sorry, I just read the last line of your post. Whether or not you can use your old prop from your Suzuki depends on the gear ratios. Tohatsu accomplishes their hole shot with a 2.08:1 gear ratio. That means that motors like the Yamaha and merc with a 1.85:1 ratio may turn a 14 pitch, the tohatsu will turn a 15 pitch because of the lower gear ratio. They are all 13 spline, but we have found we are putting more 15 pitch props on these new tohatsu's where the older motors were running 13's and 14's. I don't know what cubic inch or gear ratio your Suzuki is, so I can't guess if the props will work correctly. The props will fit, they all have 13 spline prop shafts.

As for the tohatsu's being rebadged as Hondas, that's possible. Tohatsu's are rebadged as Nissans, Nissan has no outboard factory, they are 100% tohatsu. All Mercury 30hp and under have been 100% tohatsu for years, ever since they quit making the 25hp 2 stroke.

I just finished rigging a War Eagle, War Eagle is Arkansas talk for "heavy barge",1648, 100 gauge boat with floors and walls, 3 batteries, about 400 pounds of junk. The boat is running just under 40mph with me in it, another 200 pound person drops 2 mph. On this barge, I ended up with a 13 pitch PowerTech with tons of cup in the prop. He hunts Arkansas timber and wanted to run super shallow. We are spinning the 13 pitch cupped powertech 6200 with just me in the boat, on the rev limiter, add another 200 pounder, it dropped to 6100 rpm. This guy usually runs 4 men, gear, and dog, so he is propped for a load. Most of the AlWelds with this engine are running 14 or 15 pitch props and doing well.

I have tested motors, boats, and props for about 30 years now. I test for different folks. I tested and helped design the original Edge high performance boat, the Ambush aluminum high performance hull, I have done consultant work with Mercury, on their motors and props, 60hp and under. I spent 2 months in Fon du Lac and Oshkosh, Wisconsin testing race propellers for Mercury. I raced for Tohatsu for 9 years, I was the ONLY AMERICAN ever sponsored by the Japanese. We had a great relationship, thanks to Gerald Link. I don't say all that to brag, I say that to qualify my statements about different engine and boat combos. This ain't my first rodeo.
I was asked to test this AlWeld boat and the new Tohatsu. I was currently running the fastest marsh rig I have ever owned, a 1556 Edge HIGH PERFORMANCE boat with a 40 turned 64hp Merc 4 stroke. It was a rocket, 45+ mph loaded for Lacassine, 2 men, 24 volt 82# thrust trolling motor and all gear. Empty, the boat ran 52 with a fishing prop and 62 with a race prop.
This is the maiden voyage of that Edge boat with a FISHING prop:

And here's when things go wrong, when I earn my pay:
It stopped with the race prop at 62 because I had enough, I ran out of cojones. The boat stated kiting and I didn't want to go swimming. I really enjoyed that rig, until I tested the Tohatsu and AlWeld. The Edge was like a Vette with a supercharger on it. You had to pay 110% attention to the driving or you and your partner were going swimming. I got tired of that, it's time for me to enjoy RELAXED fishing. The AlWeld compared to the Edge is like driving a Silverado compared to a Vette.
My 4 stroke Tohatsu is at Lake Area awaiting a 1552 AlWeld Marsh Special boat. That's how much I liked the rig. I have twice bought rigs that I tested, I was given that Mercury 4 cylinder after testing it, and bought that Edge boat. Now, after thorough testing, I am BUYING the Tohatsu and the AlWeld. Very few rigs impress me, I have tested so many. This one did it for me.
I don't care what brand motor you buy, I make no commission, I make nothing. I don't work for Lake Area or anyone else. When I test a rig, they get the bad with the good. They don't hire "YES" men if they want to improve their product. I work as an INDEPENDANT CONSULTANT. If you don't believe that, call Ambush. They left here with their hearts broken. I suggested changes to their hull design to enable them to market it as a "high performance" hull, which it wasn't when it got here. They have since made some of the changes and changed the speed and the handling of the boat completely. In my opinion, if you buy a "high performance" aluminum hull, it should run minimum 5-7 mph faster than any other hull with the same motor. Why pay a premium price for "high performance" if you don't get it?
D

Last edited by CajunChristian; 05-18-2014 at 09:20 AM.