Thread: Garden Bounty
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275
Default Garden Bounty

Have not been fishing or anything much the last couple weeks as the garden has really been hitting it's stride.

Decided today would be a great day to put up some fresh basil, tomato, onion & garlic pasta sauce.

Picked about 1/2 bushel of Roma's with some Heirloom's thrown in to boost flavor. After peeling slow cooked them to preserve their natural sweetness.

Although i usually keep pork for the winter months as it tends to be a heavier dish, I couldn't shake the feel for a good Pork and Pasta combo with the fresh pasta sauce.

Started of by searing a nice pork loin and then cooking it off in the oven with some onions, celery and some of the tomato sauce as company.

Sliced it up

Plated things up over some simple spiral pasta, with a bit of curly and italian parsley on top.

(Speaking of pasta, anyone have any idea where one might get some Trottole style pasta anywhere near the Leesville area?) It's the best pasta for these baked pork type meals because it holds so much sauce.

I failed to mention that the apples on our apple tree have ripened up and we picked the majority of them this week. So i have apple butter, apple jelly and apple slices all over the place.

So to polish things off for a lovely Sunday sit down meal with the whole family, I thought a nice simple apple pie fresh out of the oven would hit the right spots..

Handmade crust, fresh apples, pinch of salt, sugar, cinnamon, allspice & clove, and a good rub of some nutmeg. (i never get to concerned with making fancy schmancy looking edges on my pies, i just like to use up all the dough)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0341.jpg (44.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0342.jpg (60.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0343.jpg (49.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0344.jpg (65.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0348.jpg (35.6 KB, 154 views)