View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 01:52 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

All written permission does is identify land owner, usually has contact information, and a signature. Thus, it becomes a civil matter, not a criminal one. If I arrive at the scene where the complaintant is not the landowner, and the tresspasser has a written authorization to be there, then I would document who's who by ID, and advise the complaintant to have a nice day. I would instruct the complaintant to notify the landowner and if the landowner did not issue the written authorization then I would advise him to come in and sign a complaint on the tresspasser. Then I would issue a summons to the tresspasser to appear in court and let the judge sort it out. Written authorization does alot more to protect the hunter than one can imagine. And as a landowner, make sure you
A)- Put an expiration on the written authorization (ie., annual renewal) or
B)- Send written notice it is revoked certified mail.

Otherwise, 15 years from now, when your grandkid is hunting your land and Joe Blow from 2013 shows up to hunt with a note that is old as dirt, nothing can be done by the deputy on the scene since he has the owner's signature.