View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 671

Many have been on the fence but more and more of the membership is turning toward Sector Separation as the only fix that is currently on the table so they are willing to give it a try.

I was at Gulf Council yesterday and it appears likely that the vote is in favor of SS with a 9 to 7 vote. It seems that everyone already has their minds made up. There was talk of adding a 3 or 5 year sunset clause so that it would have to be ratified once again after a working review. HOWEVER, I was led to believe that at least some of the Gulf States are lined up to file a court action on various procedural matters to stop SS should it be voted in.

Regional Management is back on the table and I am listening to them discuss it as I type this. So there is great confusion that no one seems to have the answer to. If SS is voted in today is it the rule of the land? If Regional Management continues forward and is ratified by the March 2015 meeting; does it then supersede SS?

One thing seems certain, as of right now, Louisiana's Charter Boats will most likely be locked out of the Red Snapper fishery again for 2015. So recreational anglers that do not own boats and have chosen to hire a boat to take them out will once again be locked out of catching the endangered red snapper.