Thread: Live well help
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 06:16 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Magician View Post
My last 2 trips out I have had a good bit of bait die on me. I have been putting my shrimp all in my from live well. I am sure that is my issue. It has happened in the past.... I am guessing it has to do with the amount of water.
Don't feel bad Mark, many live bait fishermen have problems keeping live bait alive and healthy enough to fish with by 10 A - Noon. Live bait fishing guides always tell customers to hook-up the liveliest baits in the box first which is very wise.
The most common cause of livewell mortality and sloppy bait is overcrowding (too much bait in the box) as the environmental water in the livewell gets warmer and summer is coming. Live bait fishermen never have bait mortality problems is the cool months-Fall, winter and spring. When the livewell water temp reaches the mid to higher 70's F, start looking for livewell water quality problems. The warmer the livewell water gets, the more problems, the more sloppy and dying bait, and the cost of live bait fishing increases dramatically. The Dog Days of Summer yields the greatest live bait mortality in Louisiana (inshore, estuaries and offshore). That's predictable every year.

Consider reducing your stocking density and most importantly, make your livewell water quality "safe" and your bait problems will disappear immediately. Most fishermen I know just deal with the problems, buy more live bait and wait till Fall when the problem goes away... but, it will be back next year about this time for 3-4 months.