View Single Post
Old 07-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lreynolds View Post
Actually, the survey was 30 questions, some with multiple parts. Furthermore, we have constant trouble with retail outlets like Academy and Wal-Mart doing the HIP registration correctly because "it slows down the line" to collect the information. Given that, I don't believe asking them to conduct a survey is even feasible. Getting e-mail addresses, maybe, but no way will they be tasked with conducting a survey.

Hahahah! Dug out? Just own the fact that you were oblivious.

No segment of hunters is being disregarded. The most dedicated hunters are also a part of the random-selection samples in the proportion that they exist in the population of all hunters. Because they are more likely to respond to any survey, even the random mail-out surveys are somewhat biased toward more dedicated hunters.

The problem with online surveys is that respondents are strongly biased toward the more dedicated hunters. In 2010, 2012, and 2013 surveys, respondents to the open-web survey hunted nearly twice the number of days, killed twice the number of ducks, were 3 times more likely to have lifetime licenses, and were 6 times more likely to be members of a conservation organization on average, than respondents to the mail-out survey. Consequently, if we tried to estimate hunter activity and harvest from the open-web survey, we would badly over-estimate because of a non-randomness and lack of representativeness in the sample. One of our primary scientific contributions to date is showing that despite the respondents being very different, the open-web and random mail-out surveys gave almost identical results for questions on satisfaction, preference for regulatory actions, and attitudes toward management activities.

Consequently, we have used the open-web results extensively for those kinds of questions.
Apparently I was less oblivious and less lazy than the 25k other people you tried contacting. Little FYI about the LDWF website that has a bear banner or whatever on it, very few people view that regularly for leisure if at all.

Since when do we care so much about the people that care so little???? Screw the idiots that were too lazy to vote, they're prolly the ones that are too lazy to hunt second split when the north wind blown marsh is a mud flat and we're out there scraping up our last few birds of the season. They don't want To vote? Great, move on.

My biggest concern about this whole circuis is the idea that we're out there asking a bunch of everyday idiots when they want their seasons and how many birds they want to shoot? What happened to scientific research, analysis, and decisions. Sounds like yall have ran the numbers on people research just as much as waterfowl. Yea.... I do wanna shoot 3 specks a hunt. Why? Bc I'm a wing shooter not a biologist. But in all reality my wants should not have any impact on what the limits should be. If the specklebelly population can handle 95k shooters at 3 birds a day then great, if it can't then make the correct limit adjustment. When should the season open, hell if I know, I'm not a biologist. Tell me when the birds make their migration and I'll be out there bright and early with my gun, dog, and decoys. Some idiot who thinks the next cold front is gonna bring the big push of blue wings to him or that all the birds show up after the season when in all reality they just decide to leave the unhunted field next to his sky busting buddies.

If the population can handle a 10 bird limit make it 10. If it can only handle 2 birds make it 2. If the season needs to open the 9th Tuesday in November, or the 2 Saturday in December, let us know. I'll be out there either way.

Make scientific decisions with scientific based facts, but if you care so much to hear people's opinions then listen to the ones that speak and don't worry about the ones that don't.