View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Mathgeek, your videos always have a lot of good info.

My approach to black drum however is exactly opposite to yours. I'm a sight fisherman/fly fisherman, and big black drum in shallow water make a great distraction between catching bull reds in shallow water.

I look for shallow oysters in about +- 2ft of water, and can faily consistently put large black dum in the boat on fly.

The drum will get on the oysters and tail as they root for food. Generally it's really hard to get a black drum to eat a fly or artificial unless it's actively feeding, and even then your cast/retrieve has to be very accurate. Big drum won't move far out of their way for a fly or artificial, you've pretty much got to present it on the bottom in the path of the fish. I'll make a cast ahead of and a little past a feeding fish and retrieve my fly to intersect with the fish as he passes, you'll see the fish either tip down or rock side to side to eat teh fly and that's when I strip strike to set the hook.

Redfish are a lot more opportunistic and will often eat a fly or lure that is presented to them even if they aren't actively feeding. I've caught many many big black drum on fly and we've put drum over 40 lbs in the boat this way.