View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 02:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
Seriously anyone interested in getting on some gafftops needs to head out to Da Bay.

If the title existed VBay would be known as the Gafftop Capital of The World. If they were a sport fish, it would be the premier fishery on the gulf coast. They can be found with ease pretty much anywhere out there but no area holds more Tops than Southwest Pass. I am pretty sure the creator carved it out just for them like a little slice of heaven. Its hard not to catch them when you don't want to most days. I imagine if you tried it would be next to impossible not to fill the boat. They are always there and always seem to be eating.

I've only tried to catch them once. Last summer after a long day of casting, burning gas, and casting some more. I saw some birds working in the pass and knew exactly what was under them. I stopped and let the guys I had with me wear them out. They put 40 in the boat in about 30 min. They are fun to catch when, especially if you have been fishing all day without a bite. I don't guess I am cool enough to not enjoy a gaff top beatdown. I don't think it would have been as fun if we didn't keep them so we did. I gave them to my neighbor. He told me he used them for crab bait but it turns out he cleaned them and sold them. Had to use hydrochloric acid to clean the fish box but it was worth it. All the Gafftop video talk reminded me of it. In case you missed it last time here it is.

https://youtu.be/wtZYfrig2lk
Awesome post. Great info.

We just spray the ice chest with the hose and leave it in the sun to dry.