View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,087

I have hunted with both rock dogs and ribbon dogs. From my experiences, the dog that has the most experience is usually the better dog. I have seen top dollar dogs that are incredible dogs in both hunting situations and field trials. I have seen "rock dogs" that are obedient as hell in the blind that pick up every single bird that falls. I agree with what most people have said a good dog is a dog that makes it's owner proud. I trained my 2 year old myself. I molded her into the dog that I wanted her to be. She's a great family dog and an excellent hunter both in the marsh and in the field. Training a puppy can be the most mentally challenging thing anyone can do. It takes a type of patience that most people do not have. I respect dog trainers and I see value in what they do, but I do know that it is possible to mold a good hunting dog on your own if you have the time. Every dog is different; "titled out" or "picks up 800 birds a year" means nothing. They are born with the instincts to retrieve and to please their owner. whether you have to throw rocks or cast them to a blind means nothing. To me a good hunting dog is a partner more than it is "tool". It's that extra body in the truck on the way to the blind that is just as amp'd up as your are about opening day. In the end, people will always bicker back and forth about who's dog is better. To me, it doesnt matter how much money was spent on the animal or how it was trained. If its a pleasure to be around and it picks up birds the same way every other retriever does, then its a good dog.