View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7722 View Post
I do not have any problem with people sending their dogs to a trainer even though I prefer to do my own training. I do have a problem with people you think they can send their dog to a trainer and its going to come back do everything they dreamed of. The problem here is the owner needs to be trained as well. They need to learn how to communicate with the dog in a way that is consistent with what the dog has been taught. Second, owner need to do alot of research before they just shell out $_k to a "trainer". I have seen several "professional trainers" at hunt test that are an embarrassment to the profession. These same trainers probably giving trainers a bad name in the hunting blinds as well.

I have read several replies that shows the true ignorance of the poster when it comes to "ribbon dogs". Most titled dogs have earned their titles through Hunt Tests and not field trials. Real birds are thrown at hunt tests, shots are fired for every bird thrown, and there are usually decoys placed as a distraction.

Does this mean a "ribbon dog" is ready for hunting? No! The dog has many of the tools that he needs to be successful, BUT THE OWNER needs to work with the dog in the environment in which he will be performing. Trainers and test can only replicate the hunting environment to a certain degree.

All I am trying to say here is don't hold is against the dog when he doesn't perform in the field. Ribbon dogs or rock dogs are only going to perform to the level that they were trained. So blame the owner who is ultimately responsible for seeing that his dog is prepared for the situation they put them in.
And we all say......Amen