View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266
Default What are your favorite tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy.yyz View Post
I have a two wheel drive Ford 150. Not looking for mud tires, but I would like an aggressive A/T. What are your suggestions? Will probably be shopping in the next year or two.

Duffy,

Keep in mind when looking at anecdotal wear life scenarios on tires, as well as buying, that tires do have a shelf life and it's easy for a very old set to be sold to you at a great price...

The problem is if they stay in a warehouse for years the rubber has degraded even if they have been out of the elements. This can create shorter service life as well as a safety hazard for you. There have been law suits over tires failing, and people have died - the most recent case I'm aware of was a group of teenagers rolling on a fresh set to senior trip, multiple fatalities.

Think of a rubber band sitting in a drawer for a few years, ever seen a rubber band that you pulled out of a drawer after it's been there forever with little to no use on it? It's dry rotted and ain't worth a plate of cold grits. This happens with tires.

Below is a link to help you identify the age of the tires you are looking at. Call it nit picky, but I'll pay a little more for a newer set of the same exact tire if it eliminates me being a one in a million statistic.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11