View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 08:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbert Chamblee View Post
difference in 1 1/4 and 1 1/5 is maybe 10 bb's in #3 shot. Speed kills but it slows down just like the slow bb's do. I always liked the Estate 3 1/2" with #2 for big ducks or #3 for teal. Shot a IC for teal and a LM for big ducks and geese (BBBs). I had 8 cases of steel shot when I quit duck hunting a few years ago and I sold to a buddy. He had never shot the estate shells 1 1/2 at 1350 fps or 1 3/8 at 1450. He came by after about a month and I thought the shells must have give him trouble. Well he wanted to know if I had some more that I kept just in case. He just bought the cheap shells 1 oz at Walmart....SPEED KILLS and big loads deliver dead ducks. To me the easiest bird to kill is a canvasback.

I have to respectfully disagree with you that canvasbacks are the easiest bird to kill. I shot a truckload this year and I think they are the toughest to kill. They are divers so their feathers do not shed water much like puddle ducks do. The feathers get wet and mat up and are nearly impenetrable. You almost have to have a head shot or very close range body shot to clean kill them. I had many cripples we had to chase this year. I have had BBs fall out of their feathers while cleaning them. And they fly remarkably fast!