View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 05:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

A lot of good theories. The biggest thing is probably the changes in the landscape, like someone said. Shifts in agricultural practices such as where rice is grown have made a difference. I read on another forum where someone referenced the amount of land switching from rice to sugarcane and crawfish production. That makes a big difference because they are going to go to those rice fields.

I don't buy into the global warming or warmer winters argument that much. Not saying its not a good theory, just saying weather patterns are cyclical. Look at the intensity of some of the cold fronts we have had this year. I saw a comparison of the same date this year and last year--there was something like 60% snow cover across the nation as opposed to 30% or something like that on the same day last year. It's not so much the weather as where the birds are able to stop at.

I hear reports all the time of blinds limiting out every day. I know people that do. There are birds getting down here; its just a matter of where they are going now. That tells me its not so much the weather as it is changes in the landscape.

And to the comment of moving the season back vs. the data--waterfowl seasons are probably one of the few that is actually based in one way or another on data, unlike other species. As long as the harvest per hunter effort is staying relatively stable, they aren't going to change the season dates. There has to be some logic to it.