View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
that was excellent thanks

There have been several scientists try and talk to the anti-diversion crowd but they get banned from the website, or just don't get invited to the meetings. The diversions planned are sediment diversions and wastewater diversions and are not even similar to the Caernarvon diversion which is a freshwater diversion. They try to give the whole 'doom and gloom' with catch words like 250,000 cfs, but that is not the case. They will only be opened during flood pulses (and not 250,000 cfs all year round). There are way too many mistruths that are being spread. I got banned over on the site twice because someone was showing asian carp and 'water hyacinth' (it was salvinia and I pointed that out and they got mad) and saying diversions are bringing in Asian carp and invasive plants That is the case over all of S Louisiana and not from diversions. They also put up maps they said were official maps from the La DNR. Well, the map was titled 'Marsh Dyeing" No official map is going to have the title spelled wrong. I got banned for pointing that out too (the map was removed though). I guess the state was putting dye in the marsh Anyone can make maps on the SONRIS website and they all have the La DNR logo.

There are way more mistruths to point out as well.

Believe it or not, there are people who show that dredging is bad for bird habitat, but they realize without it, there will be no land so the benefits outweigh the bad. For instance, when placing dredge on top of land that has been there, the dredged material kills all the invertebrates that were there (bird food). The dredge material is typically jsut muck and many birds will not nest on that substrate, they require sand. BUT, again they realize its better than not having land period, the birds can still loaf in these areas and the inverts will eventually come back

We just need to dredge, divert, and do whatever
yeah I quit going to "that site" a long time ago. Too hard to read and all arguments are one sided. I posted a guided trip I went on one time over there and it got deleted because the Capt wasnt a site sponsor