Thread: Trash
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Redfish

Cash: 969
Default Trash

I hit the beach/Deep Bayou area for some fishing and crabbing this past weekend. I took my buddy's kid up to Deep Bayou to catch some bait since the beach was sorely lacking in much of anything. While we were throwing the net, a police officer came up and told us that if we caught any trash in our net and left it on the side of the road, that we were littering, and would get a ticket. I'm a firm believer in leaving no trace behind, and in throwing away any trash that happens to come up in my net if that were to happen. What kind of took me aback was when he said "the locals don't like it when y'all throw the nets and leave trash behind". First off, that ain't me. I absolutely clean up after myself. Second, there is literally one place that I know of where you can dispose of bags of trash in Cameron Parish, and that is the dump just north of Holly Beach. And third, there were piles of trash tucked back where cars park to crab from the roadside. Old chicken containers, cans, broken bottles, and God knows what else. What is wrong with people? Clean up after yourself! I guess the main point here is that while I understand he was doing his job, I thought it was funny that he happened along one of the cleanest crabbers out there. I leave nothing, and take extra. But mainly I'm wondering why there aren't any places to dump trash. There are times I'm loading up nasty trash in the trunk of my car to run it to the Holly Beach dump. Trust me, I'd rather not risk that stank getting all up in my car. Are there any other options? If not, why not?? That's a double question mark, so clearly, I really mean it.