View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
When I was an NRA Certified instructor for Basic Pistol and Personal Protection, I really liked the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.

See: http://mqp.nra.org/#

My brother, an NRA Training Counselor, really likes it too.

These programs can be used productively under the guidance of an instructor or they can be self-administered making use of written and video training materials.

I remember spending one year a while back working my way up to the expert level in the pistol program. Since I lived on rural property with an informal range in the back yard, I could shoot several times a week. The organization of the program provided structure and goals to my practice that produced real results without the extra fiddling involved with a formal range or expensive instructors.

I've probably taken about five formal training courses since I bought my first pistol in the late 1990s, but most of my real shooting improvement came shooting hundreds of rounds (maybe thousands) over that year working my way through the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program. I believe this is a great approach for those without convenient access to competition or other more formal training options.
Sounds like a great program MG. Proper training and plenty of trigger time are a must. After I started shooting USPSA I had to laugh at myself because before that I had thought a 1000 rounds of ammo was a lot. Didnt take long to realize that way of thinking was wrong. 1000 rounds of .45 ammo = 1 1/2 maybe 2 months.