View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I'm not so sure.

The LDWF has some risk of becoming like the US EPA using hidden data that they claim supports restrictive regulations without making the data and scientific rationale public. LDWF has released no data since 2010, and the LWC has an established pattern of passing regulations without supporting scientific data. When LWC was challenged to do a more thorough review of existing triple tail data before passing limits, they refused and instead passed the restrictions in a secret meeting in which the meeting minutes were not subsequently published in the usual way.

My personal observations of the LDWF creel survey at Calcasieu Point has not boosted my confidence that the LA Creel results will yield "the most accurate data to date." I observed the LDWF surveyer approach anglers and only ask where the fish observed on the cleaning station were caught, before returning to sit in his truck.

The anglers were not asked:

How many anglers contributed to the catch?

How long did the group fish?

What species were the group targeting?

How many fish were caught and released?

Do the fish on the cleaning station represented the entire take for the trip?

In fact, one group of anglers had a whole unopened box of fish they had caught that had not been emptied onto the fish cleaning station yet.

I've participated in creel surveys in other states, and I have also reviewed the fisheries literature regarding sampling techniques needed to acquire accurate fisheries data from fishery dependent surveys. The above questions are all essential parts of acquiring accurate data to help managing a fishery.

It seems more that LA Creel is more of a public relations effort to justify the increase in license fees than a legitimate attempt to improve the scientific quality of management.
So what your saying is, we are just screwed???