View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 959

Ok, I missed a couple of days of pictures. Let's see where I left off.

So, here is a couple of shots of the gunnels after we faired them and then glassed them on top. It's so easy to write that, but it was hours or sanding to make sure the outside edge of the boat is straight. There were some areas that needed quite a bit of fairing, so I wanted all that under the glass, so now we don't have nearly as much to fair out on top and it'll be strong and won't chip off.

And those were from last night, or maybe the night before, I'm not sure. It's been just a ton of little things, like we glassed the whole gunnel underneath, and we have been laying on our backs sanding the underside of it for what seems like forever. And then we built a place for the rope in the cabin, and we made a mold for hatches. The corecell hatches were very cool, but the fairing was impossible on the 28 footer. So we are just going to do glass hatches and jams, and add the foam to the middle back of the hatch itself after it's put together to stiffen it. Anyways, here is the floor that will go over the fuel tank with the door jam that came out of the mold we just made. This is glassed in on the other side, and then when we glass the top of the foam we'll tie this in better. This will make for less fairing, we lost a week on the other corecell hatches, and they still weren't perfect.

And then the big job. We started on the bridge wing, which I like to call the visor because that's what they call it in spanish. We started by finding the angles we were looking for. That meant going over to a friends boat in the marina and measuring everything and drawing pictures etc. Once we figured out the angles I wanted, we stuck some foam carefully to the top of the boat. Like carefully as in two days worth of tinkering just to have it sitting in place with thickened resin.

And then after we got most of the angles right, and again don't try to get me to explain it because we just moved stuff around and kept looking at it, we went ahead and made the ROUGH cut tonight! The front crown I copied straight off of the cabin below it. We still need to long board the top of it until it's perfect, but we did make some progress.

We might have this thing glassed tomorrow, don't know we'll have to see. We still have to pop out several hatches with the mold we made, and we need to put the floor over the fuel tank, and we're working on the "visor" at the same time, so it's several projects. That's good though, because we set one up, and while it's drying, we jump over to the next one. We have a guy working with us now that all he does is get materials ready for harold, so we can keep up the pace. More photos soon!