View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSupport.com View Post
There are lots of reasons to use a leader for sure. And there are times when I use mono and times I use Fluoro. I use a 20-25 mono leader when there is only marsh grass, widgeon grass, or sea grass flats. I use a 100% fluorocarbon leader material leader when I'm fishing around oyster reefs, rocks, or pilings with with barnacles. The 100% fluoro leader material is what you want in those conditions. Don't confuse Fluoro carbon line material or Fluro coated line with 100% Fluoro leader material. There is a huge difference in abrasion resistance and toughness. The Fluoro line material is made for clear deep water impoundments where there are no abrasive objects in the water column. Its great for that. What we have most of the time fishing for trout, reds, and flounder is much different and many more objects with barnacles and oysters that can cut that leader if it's around. But if you're just fishing in the marsh and there is no oyster, then mono is fine.

Some talk about using mono for topwaters because it floats while fluoro sinks, and while that is technically true.. it's sooo small a difference that it really doesn't matter and i use both from time to time with all different lures. I've never really noticed a difference in working either lure with either leader material. I have noticed a difference in toughness though. I will say this, if you are using mono for a leader matieral, check it more often for knicks and fraying and retie it more often to reduce lost fish due to abrasions.

Mono is more shock absorbing than the fluoro, but at that legnth is really is a non issue. Using a leader will drastically reduce the braid getting into hooks and split rings like Aubrey mentions above.
i agree with everything said except for when it comes to topwater. If you use too long of a flourocarbon leader for a topwater,
it will sink your bait. I've sunk a super spook before with 12lb flouro,
but it was straight flourocarbon.