View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
I am certain there has been a thread about this in the past but New equipment comes out all the time and I am interested in hearing everyone's input on different rods and reels. I understand everyone has their own preference I am just looking for some pros and cons of different set ups.

I have always fished with lower end gear (ambassador, Quantim, allstar Rods) but have been getting more serious into fishing these past two years and am ready to invest in a really nice rig for inshore salt water fishing.

Right now I plan to go with a Lew's TP1SH Reel and a 7' Stick em Rod (Not sure which model.)

Any advice is appreciated. I know someone in another thread said something about Shimano reels. Better than Lew's? More Expensive?

IMO Lew's makes a good reel, it's just that it hasn't been out long enough to give any real report on longevity of the parts in saltwater. add to that, i can't get my Lew's rep to say it's salt-safe. so in my eyes, it's designed for freshwater. if you take good care of your stuff and clean it all when you get in, the lew's may last quite a while. for now, the reports on it are good and i have had almost zero complaints on them.

BUT, if you want something that is proven to work, gets stellar reviews and is salt-safe, go with a Shimano Chronarch E7. they are nearly identical to the old CuradoE7 except in color(white and black) and price($20 more). I've used my Cu200E7's everywhere from the beach and jetties to toledo bend and they take all the abuse i can dish out! to me, Shimano is the best value in the case.