View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 02:12 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
In most states it's the driver's duty to report, but that is only required if there are injuries or if the damage exceeds a certain threshold. As a good Samaritan, I don't think I'd get involved unless there is apparent injury, in which case I'd call 911 and report the injury the best I could.

I don't think folks need their lives complicated by police on the scene of accidents where they are not needed. There are a lot of great police out there, but they are busy and likely have better things to do. There are also a few police that like to go on fishing expeditions and may take the opportunity to invade people's privacy or enhance revenue by writing tickets without sufficient evidence of the underlying violation.

If I'm in an accident where no one is injured, I'd prefer to simply exchange insurance info and be on my way, with a plan to report the event to my insurance company later that day. If my insurance company wants me to file a police report, I can do that without calling police to the scene. A few quick photos of the vehicles will be more important to my insurance company than a police report in the event of claims for exaggerated damage.

If I'm in an accident where damage is significant enough to involve my insurance, I'm calling police to the scene.