View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 983
Default I just go with the lowest price...

I'm in the insurance business as well, just not P&C. Started out with Shelter 6 years ago here in Iberia Parish and saw my rates skyrocket after Katrina/Rita. They then placed a moratorium(at least here in our parish) on the insurance companies and no one else was offering coverage so you pretty much had to stick with what you had. New homebuyers were having to go with LACitizens as their only resort since no one else was writing. I don't advise anyone to switch to the LACitizens policy if they have another company already. Last year I was finally able to get a lower price from another company from Florida, ASI Lloyds. This year it was close in price to another I priced with Homewise homeowners, but I will stay with Lloyds since they are written by an agency here in town. My current storm/other deductible is only $2,500 for which I pay about $2,200 annually for my 2,650 sq. ft. house. I have my vehicles with the agency too in order to get the best rate. I was offered a policy from Liberty I believe for only $1,200-$1,300 but it only offered a 5% storm deductible which meant I would be paying the first $14,000 or so of damage which was too much risk to take on. State Farm is not writing at all in Iberia Parish anymore. The problem I have with all of these companies is that they have the automatic inflation adjustment which bumps your coverage up 3% or so every year. This usually adds $2-300 annually to your homeowners cost. I always call to see if we can get the coverage back down to keep my cost from increasing.