View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Flounder

Cash: 641

This year it is a calendar problem. Next year the dates can go back to a traditional format and everyone will be happy...

I would have liked for our specklebellies to get a little rest and allow for the late migrating birds get here and settle before the shooting started back.

Here's the real issue. There's no logical reason that my blind in Grand Chenier should be in the same zone as a blind in Mamou. Fix the zones and fix the problem. Until that happens we will always be working against each other rather than working together. Let's face it. Hunters in the rice belt have different priorities than hunters in the marsh as far as desired season dates. Although my brackish water marsh actually gets better as the season progresses I realize that that isn't the case for most hunters that hunt the marsh. For most earlier is better. At the same time in many rice fields the amount or quality of ducks gets better toward the end of the season.

Finally, how many of you actually hunted the last weekend of speck season last year? It was February 1 and 2. I saw the biggest push of ducks headed south that I had seen all season long. Granted since all the migrations were late last year this may only be a one time thing. However, in my 32 years of hunting in Louisiana and keeping some pretty detailed logs I can tell you that ducks showing up in mass the last week of the season happens about 1 out of every 5 or 6 years. Maybe the folks commenting to LDWF saw the same thing I saw and didn't understand the cyclic nature of the event???

Thanks
Robbie aka Big Hutch