Thread: Tripletail
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
I think putting a limit on them is a joke! This is another ploy to have something to debate and have more "feel good" topics on the agenda. Plain and simple! The tripletail is a migratory fish, only shows up in and around La certain times of the year, and the conditions have to be "right" to catch them. They are like the bream of saltwater, no matter what you do, they will be here.

I find it amazing that people inside the CCA continue to push regulatory actions based on personnal feelings and not scientific data. They never look at the big picture, just something that will get discussion going and get them some notice, which is just what the Tripletail debate is doing now.

Specifically, tripletail is the caviar of the fish for resturants and markets of south America. But, these fish are so skittish and hard to catch, even the commercial fisherman of South American countries like Mexico, Houndarus, Costa Rica etc, have trouble finding them. But that is not becasue the fish is extinct.

Last summer, I had 3 boats fishing with me out of Dularge. Do you know how many passed up a pile of grass without even noticing a fish on it. That's right, all of them, I turned and went up to the patch of grass and put my customer on his first tripletail. They all wanted to fish tripletail after that, but nobody could find them. It is a "oppurtunity" catch and I don't think a limit is necessary.

If you start asking for a limit on a certain fish, it takes away from the biologist work on fish studies that are needed. Why start a controversy on tripletail when we need all of their time spent on fighting the Federal Government on issues pertaining to the red snapper and amberjack? Just a thought!
Great point. Please don't take my posts as starting a controversy, I simply wanted other anglers opinions.