View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Hairout Democrats are turkey hunters!!!

My youngest boy is now 13 and a freak for the turkey woods. The kid is getting darn good at calling, hunts all day with me and has the "bug" real bad. His uncle Max is also a turkey hunting freak and every year, Uncle Max puts in for the youth lottery hunt in hopes of bringing him out early for a youth hunt. Well this year it finally worked out where he was drawn and it was all set with some scouting last week for a perfect weekend.

They get set up an hour before daylight and have the decoys out on a small area that is greened up, and after a few tree gobbles they commence to yelp a few times. The bird answers immediately and the fun begins. After several minutes of "here I am, where are you", they hear a pitiful sounding yelp from a box call. To their surprise, a grown man smoking a cigarette walks right by them attempting to work a box call and passes within feet of their decoys, heading toward the area of the bird that was gobbling. He is carrying a shotgun, decoy bag, and a pop up blind besides wearing a turkey vest. They watch as he easily crosses a downed tree, the whole time yelping on his way to the bird.

After about 35 minutes a single shotgun blast is heard and few minutes later here comes Mr. Turkey hunter carrying a dead jake. AS they are gathering their decoys, the hunter stops by them to make small talk. Come to find out, this "man" says he was drawn for the handicapped hunt which is also the same time for youth lottery. Both my son and his uncle are better than me, that's for sure!

I just find that this man from Ville Platte is a giant POS and menace to the world if you are going to claim to be "handicap" yet can walk better than me carrying a load and smoke cigarettes. It's public land hunting and he did not break any law, but I feel he violated everything ethical hunters are trying to teach the youth of the outdoors. In the end, my son tells me "dad, I didn't know democrats turkey hunted" and I had a proud poppa moment knowing that at least I am trying!!!