View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 03:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Again - thousands of people go into the woods inthe most densely populated area for bears in the continental US every year and not one scratch from a bear has been reported. You have a better chance of being killed by honeybees or a spider bite or falling out of your tree or getting hit by a 'brush shot' from t-boys 30-30
Yes, and due care is advisable in all those circumstances. I avoided tree stands after my first try feeling that they just were not acceptably safe. I avoid hunting on public land after having a few projectiles whizzing past. I keep a safe distance from t-boy's 30-30. But none of this changes the rules of engagement when dealing with wildlife capable of great bodily harm. We don't even bring rays or sharks into the boat.

We take all due precautions to avoid negative interactions with bears. But if a bear threatens, all those precautions become moot, and it is time to do what most other reasonable citizens would do in that situation if they have thoughtfully provided themselves the means of defense.

Louisiana bears are not fundamentally different from bears in other states. They are large predators capable of great harm to humans. Given enough time and habitat overlap and sufficient bear populations, negative interactions will eventually occur, and I'm rooting for the humans.