View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 554
Question Flats Style Boat. Any good in Louisiana?

Hello everyone,
I am currently in the market for a new boat. First, I would like to outline the type of fishing I will be doing. I currently live in Lafourche Parish in South Louisiana. I’m looking to fish local freshwater lakes and canals for bass along with the shallow saltwater marshes. I’m looking for a boat with the ability to handle crossing these waters if they get a bit choppy with a fairly dry ride. I’m not looking to get into any big water with this boat. With that being said, I have not been looking at too many true bay style boats. I’m looking at something around the 18’ range with a 115/150.

Okay, with all of the above said, a flats style boat has caught my eye. Upon doing a little looking around, the Action Craft 1890, Baycraft 185, and Hewes Redfisher 18 have sparked an interest. What I like about them is the large deck, amount of storage, stability, can get into shallow water. I would not be doing any poling so think of a boat this style minus the poling platform. It seems like a good fit; however I do not see many of these style boats in this area. Any thoughts or experiences with this style boat for what I have described?

I have looked at a few Xpress models as well. There are many many people here with bay boats, but that may be a bit overkill for what I’m looking for as it may be a bit large (height wise) and heavy.
Any thoughts or recommendations?