View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Redfish

Cash: 837
Default Preparing to Duck Hunt

I'm 51 and never duck hunted and next year want to change that. But I need help. First a little background: I grew up in Va dear hunting since age 4, moved to La at 14 and continued hunting where my dad could find places to do so. Moved to New Mexico after I got married and lived there 9 years, hunted deer, elk, antelope, and quail and dove all with my dad and brother. BUT I moved back to south Louisiana 19 years ago and have not hunted, just fished. Brother and Dad was still back in NM and so I never got into hunting down here again.

So now I want to duck hunt, but I don't want to buy a mud-boat, and four wheeler or buy a lease. I'd like to hunt from my kayak. I don't mind walking or paddling 3-5 miles. Are there good hunting areas anywhere in Louisiana that can be accessed by kayak or foot? Also what is intimidating is that I don't know my ducks, and worried about hitting wrong one and getting fined or arrested . What are the common ducks in Louisiana and are their any good sources to learn to recognize them?

Sorry for the long post, but I look forward to all the advice you can give.