View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 04:38 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
The last thing I think is that JBE is stupid......What I do think is that he beleives WE are all stupid.
I will disagree with you on what the arts brings to society. While they make less, indeed, more kids that are in band and the arts go and eventually graduate in ALL majors on ALL universties.

Full disclosure, I was a full ride music band nerd a LaTech in the early 80's.
Today, my daughter, a May graduate of UGA with TWO majors in liberal arts sees me as a greedy corporate 1%'er that does not pay my "fair share"
Sorry to hear that. That's the kind of stuff that is a shame these days. But how many students in engineering, med, or law have that mindset? This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy. It's a real shame when someone's child has the audacity to believe something like that abput one of their own parents, but that is what the Sanders and Clintons and Edwards of the world want.

I believe the arts are an important part of society as well, but I don't see the need for full fledged degree programs at universities. You don't have to be a music major to be in the band.

One of the metrics I always hear talked about for McNeese is the value of the degree. The Return on Investment. It is very high because the degree isn't extremely expensive, and the money that a McNeese graduate will make in a lifetime far exceeds the cost. Does anyone think that is true with a liberal arts degree such as music or dance? I sure don't. Maybe I'm wrong. But in my opinion, every program should be evaluated, and if it's not meeting a standard, get rid of it. We already have too many people out of work, and we keep graduating people from college like its an assembly line.

I say send those would-be liberal arts degree-seekers to trade school. Make em get a real trade, and then let em complain about "fair shares".

Congratulations on your daughter graduating witb 2 degrees though. Sorry to hear she thinks you don't pay your fair share. I would tell her that if she doesn't feel that way, then she can pay it for you. Afterall, you did let her live in your house for years free of charge. That has to count for some "share".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk