View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

This, We blast some big body Oklahoma deer and shoot nothing but 243 80 Grain Nosler ballistic tip.

The distance has something to do with, as the closer the deer under 50 yards or so never have pass through. Find bullet jacket in the skin of deer. More than that never have problem. I have also nailed plenty of Kansas deer with 243 and they never go far.

So when they close, it is a neck or if a doe she getting it in the head. The 243 is wicked smacking them in the head.

QUOTE=MathGeek;813384]Yes, in think areas where recovery is difficult, we really prefer the shoulder shot than going for the double lung behind the shoulder.

I'm not good at blood trailing (red green colorblind), so I also prefer a Nosler ballistic tip to expand quickly and enhance rapid incapacitation when all the shot hits is lungs and heart.

Been hunting long enough I've also developed a sense of where deer "want" to go after they get hit. I usually find the deer first by working ahead of the blood trailers just by instinct.[/QUOTE]