View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043
Default What's y'alls take on rag spreads?

What's everyone's take on rag spreads for hunting specks primarily?

I know it's not something I'll do every hunt, but I'll have the option to do so. I'll be in a pit with big cuts (dry, plowed, & set aside) on each side of the levee. Our farm typically doesn't hold specks or snows, but later in the season we get a decent snow flight. Skinny levee but not bare, pretty fluffy. We currently have a few doz FB specks and snows, but usually only hunt over a doz or less FB specks.

My questions are:

1) What days (weather wise) would be my best bet on putting out a rag spread. I know wind is key for rag movement, but what about foggy, clear, or cloudy days? And should you avoid putting them out with little to no wind even if the rags have spines to keep them full?

2) What's the minimum amount of rags you'd be comfortable with along with say 4 doz FB snows mixed in.

3) What's the best placement for the FB snow dekes amongst the rags. I'm not trying to land 100 snows in the dekes lol. Or should I try and use the rags as fillers, and try to use the FBs to hide the rags?

4) Should I separate the FB specks from the rags and how far?

5) How far from the levee (with brush, not bare) should the rags start?

You don't have to format an answer like my questions by any means, just trying to pick you guys' brains that's had experience doing this.

Thanks in advance,
CB