View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
W I think the biologist that was there talking about oysters had some pretty good scientific data based on field work. They are taking monthly and sometimes bi-monthly samples from these reefs. If he tells me that there are other factors like Oyster Predation, I am inclined to believe him.
Black drum dominate the oyster predation. Word among the commercial fishers is that there are a lot more black drum in Sabine than in Calcasieu, and several commercial guys whose home base is in Hackberry are regularly fishing Sabine now because there are more black drum over there. The predation and parasite pressure on oysters are comparable between Sabine and Calcasieu, so what's causing the biggest difference in the oyster stock assessments? Dredging is the obvious dominant factor, so don't let them blind you with reports of confounding factors.

But the Oyster Predation issue may open the door toward a useful policy change that both the oyster lobby and the sport anglers can agree on: Commercial and recreational limits on black drum should be completely eliminated state wide.

There is very little risk of extirpating the species state wide, and other than human activities, heavy predation of black drum on oysters is likely the most significant contributor to declining oyster reefs and challenges in oyster reef restoration. Now, I personally like black drum and enjoy catching them, but the scientific fact is that black drum are a nuisance species destroying far more value in oyster reef habitat than their value in the commercial and recreational fisheries.

There is a small commercial black drum fishery in the state, but they may not even object to removing limits, because the commercial fishery may even be sustainable without limits, and these guys also earn money in the oyster fishery, which is much more lucrative. In addition to protecting the oyster reefs, removing limits on black drum would also have the effect of reducing competition among juveniles for forage resources shared with other species. There are certain subcultures (mostly ethnic shore anglers) who would also appreciate removal of restrictions on black drum harvest. Like many fishery regulations, there were never any stock assessments showing the regulations were needed, someone simply decided that the life history of black drum was close enough to redfish to manage them with the same recreational regulations.