View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
The lake will re-seed itself, but there are too many oyster boats to do that.
Re-seeding will only work if you lease areas, or allow oystering in one section at a time.
Big Lake is a public oystering lake. When it opens, most of the oyster fishermen will try to make as much money as fast as they can. Not worrying about what will be left for the next season.
If it is re-seeded, then it will have to be closed for a few years to let them grow.
And again I will say, reseeding from another area could bring in unwanted problems like hook mussels and other diseases that we may not have now.
And what other area would want to send their seed oysters over here? Do we want the East side of the state to be able to take our oysters to reseed the their side of the state?

The commercial fishing lobby is just as big as the recreational fishing lobby. I can promise you they are looking at this and other forums all the time to see what their next fight will be. But we cannot look at what they are saying, they don't put it out for everyone to see.
The only answer is to make it publicly known, and that has already happened, KPLC TV and other news media have brought it up.

If you listen to the oyster fishermen, they are worried too. Especially the ones who only commercial fish for a living.

There needs to be a limited number of commercial oyster licenses on Big Lake, if they are going to keep dredging. Or close the East Side for the next 3 years to let the oysters grow.

Everyone has good ideas, but to make them reality is going to be a lot tougher than you think.
I think they ought to regulate the oysters like the gators!! Make the oyster men buy tags, and every sack have a tag and hold the buyer liable for over the limit oysters!! If you don't fill all the tags you get cut the next year!!! I also say grandfather the oyster fishermen that had oyster permits before dredging was put back into play!! And the rest go into a lottery....# of violations should be a factor in to the renewal process either way!! JMO!!