View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

added update:

I took a look at the kohler today to try and get it started and found the carb has thick sludge inside it. hopefully it can be saved but the butterfly is rusted badly but still functions.

the engine intake port also had this sludge in it like it was full of water condensation for a long time. I can see rust buildup on the valve seat area so I hope the valve seats aren't rusted and still seal well. cant check compression because I don't have a gauge but even if I did, the plug is set so darn far up in there it might not reach.

the engine oil looks dirty and it was low but no signs of water.

it does appear from the looks of things this guy never took care of it so I don't know if that affects your opinions on it.

I have read some comments on other forums that say either of these engines are about the same quality and will serve the average homeowner well as long as they are well maintained so im back and forth on this mainly because I don't have the kohler running yet and I can only "assume" the engine should be in as good a shape as the rest of the mower.