Thread: home insulation
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
This goes to show you how much I know about building a house and I am building a house! I always thought the inside walls were insulated on every house. What is the best insulation to go with?

there are 3 levels of insulation. you have foam at the top, cellulose in the middle and batting at the bottom.

foam and cellulose are both blown in meaning you get a full seal. the R value is a little higher on foam (big jump in price though). cellulose has its selling points too though you have fire proof, repels bugs and rodents.

batting is not very good you have gaps where pipes and wires are.

Now on your attic it is the same except the foam is sprayed up top in rafters meaning you have to heat and cool your entire attic but it is a full seal. This is suppose to be the best. Its very high though. and I still have my doubts because you are doubling how much you are cooling and heating. You can't go wrong either way. just try to steer away from batting it will cost you in the long run.

also if you go cellulose direction there are different kinds make sure you hire a professional because the cheaper brands will eventually settle if not installed properly.

hope this answers your questions