View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_snipe View Post
She should be appplauded. Too bad she missed (yeah I know she connected with 5 out of 6 rounds but he walked away so she missed).

Now all the comments about kids brings to mind a question. Who has shown their kids all of their firearms and how to load them & make them safe? Are they or have they handled each of their firearms?

Yeah I know that is more than a question but here is my rationale behind it. I believe if you show your children what your weapon is and what it will do. then how to safely handle it under supervision you take the mystery and awe away so they will obey the rules and better yet know how to SAFELY handle it if presented with an unexpected occurance. I believe everyone should be taught how to safely handle a firearm whether they ever take up shooting or not or even like firearms.

Now my choice for in home defense is 12 gauge loaded with bird or squirrel shot. Why that load you say? Simple at 15 to 20 which is in home shooting distance squirrel or bird shot will penetrate a persons torso with a small spread and not penetrate the wal behind him that buckshot may. Perp is just as dead and not going to repeat the offense.
Totally agree with your logic about teaching children about firearms. When I was young my mom hated that my dad had guns in the house. She didn't want me or my brother to be anywhere around them. To us it was some cool toy that only the grown-ups got to play with, so naturally childhood curiosity would take over and we would take them out and play with them when she wasn't around. Once we started hunting and realized it was simply a tool, it was no longer "cool". We would only handle the firearms if we were outside shooting, hunting, or cleaning them.