View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 11:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default 2002 4x4 2500 gmc

Hey guys I have an older model 4x4 gmc. One day the idler pulley or tensioner pulley came apart a block from my house so I was able to make it home and this was the night before I left for Toledo back in February. Didn't notice anything on way up there other than I hate the new clutch fan I just put on as it stays engaged more robbing hp and seems to make tranny shift a little different while engaged. I pulled a trailer back for my cousin he left at our camp and was the worst 1 1/2 hour drive I have had in that truck. Tranny didn't want to shift into overdrive and sometimes once it did didn't want to shift down and out of overdrive. Then I get back to town and the next day would take anywhere from 3 seconds to 30 seconds for it to go into reverse when cold, mostly. Did some research and didn't like was I was reading and then I rembered that belt coming off. It did get a little hot and I'm sure battery was too weak to crank back up. So I thought maybe since I have that bully dog tune on it the computer may not have corrected itself. I reprogrammed it back to the same performance tune and the tranny started shifting crisp and again and when I put it in reverse it immediately went into reverse. That is until this past Sunday. It went into reverse just fine when I left for work but then around 11 I went to the store and it took almost two minutes to go into reverse. I was about to give up but it finally went. Did not have a problem til the next morning and it's back to taking 3-30 seconds before it goes into reverse again. So I thought well it wasn't the computer after all but just in case I reprogrammed it again. Did not fix it. It's an old truck but it is like new inside and out with only 118,000 miles on it. My cousin bought it new then I got it in 2014. I want to drive it and put a few hundred miles on it to see if it goes away again but if not I guess I'll start with filter and tranny fluid. One thing the fluid has been about a quart high since I got the truck. Some say too low especially but too high could cause it. But why drive for 4 years and 30,000 miles with no issues. All fluids in truck are full synthetic. Cousin is picky and keeps his trucks clean like I do and is main reason I bought this truck. It shifts fine so far in all 4 gears goin down the road so I'm having hard time thinking tranny is goin out or needs rebuilding. If anyone knows or had this happen please post how u fixed it